Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ripping off the bandaid

It's been a weird week.  We're talking Star Trek/alternate reality weird, this week.

On Sunday, I was walking into a Stake Center for a baby blessing and for some reason, I thought of U2. Yes, that's right...for the first time in over fifteen years, the song Numb popped into my head.  It was strangely appropriate.  I think being numb was the only way for me to survive the day.  Later, driving home to Hoth, it also hit me that I couldn't have been more uncomfortable at the time if there had been feet rubbing all over my face, like so:


Poor the Edge

I've been mulling over the weekend and I realized that U2 is a pretty good metaphor for the weekend itself, because--in a nutshell--WHAT THE HECK, U2?  You guys gave us Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum and Sunday, Bloody Sunday and Where the Streets Have No Name and THEN YOU FREAKING HIT US WITH ZOOROPA?!?!?!?!?!?  It was like reality had gone crazy.

Where is MY reality, and how do I get back there?  And, no, It's a Beautiful Day DOES NOT make up for everything post-Rattle and Hum.


In 1989, I never would have guessed that U2 would fall from absolute awesomeness to borderline fame-induced group psychosis.  Of course, in 1989, I never would have seen last weekend coming, either.

Achtung!  (baby (snerk!))

Oh, well.  Everyone played nice and pretended like we were meeting each other for the first time and I survived ripping off the band-aid that was meeting my dad's new wife in this freakish alternate reality. 

Through it all, I've been trying to look for bright spots...sometimes with more success than others.  However, there are definitely some good things going on...

Jon is gainfully employed.  Yay for being productive members of society again!

Elijah, who has NEVER been known for his tact, DIDN'T blab to his mom the gossipy parts of why we were in St. George, which I'm really not ready for her to use as ammo against me.  He--completely unprompted--just said we were there for a baby blessing.  Thank you, Elijah.  You made my day.  This also helped (reason #12 having boys is awesome):

Homemade helmet FOR THE WIN!
Ethan started Harry Potter camp this week.  Oh, yeah.  Our family just hit a new level of Geek...but he loves it, and I love to see him so excited about something.

His letter from "Hogwarts"

His robes
 He got to make a wand, as well...I'll post that picture in a few days, I'm sure.

And, last but not least, I give you the beginning of Gabriel's descent into Dorkiness:



But the brightest spot, the one I have to keep reminding myself of, is this one:

DOC Christensen.  Google it.  I don't have anything approaching this level of talent and insight.
 Everything is going to be all right in the end.  If it's not all right, it's not the end.

And now, I have to go be violated by my OB/GYN.  Thirty two weeks and counting.

5 comments:

  1. I'll give you this Meegs- you are a trooper and a good, faithful daughter!
    I on the other hand, even though I was invited, chose to run away to Orem to avoid depression and reality. What ex- wife would go to her ex- husband's baby blessing and be smirked at by the new wife? Not I. There is no reality anymore- only this etherealness that only exists in dreams. Or is it a nightmare?
    I love you Meegs. You are a GOOD daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a better daughter than I am. I don't think I could've made it through the day without saying something I'd regret. Probably a good thing I'm in Texas.

    That video of Gabey is classic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that saying if it's not all right it's not the end. Thanks for the post and it is nice to see the bright spots in the craziness around us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Josh, that's a good saying. I loved Gabriel's head banging as well, his grin of anticipation was awesome. And way to go on being supportive of your dad. You are def. a better woman than me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meegs, I am sorry you had to go through that, I can't imagine how uncomfortable that must have been for all of you that went. I bumped into your Dad and the new wife and the children at Walmart and am still weirded out by the whole encounter and he is not my Father. He introduced Melissa and I to her and she didn't even break a smile. Kinda just stone faced. Its ok though Melissa and I were kinda stunned just to see them there. Any way my heart goes out to you.
    Elisey I am glad you were in Texas and didn't have to experience the alternate reality!!!

    ReplyDelete