Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ego taken down a notch...check

Scene: the Alfred family living room. The Alfreds are gathered to read the scriptures and have family prayer. This is very important to the family's salvation because it is the immediate precursor to Bedtime, the promise of which is the one thing preventing Meegan from going crazy and doing something rash.

Aaaaaand....ACTION.

Ethan: So Satan actually thought that he could beat God?

Jon: Yes. He thought that if he could get Adam and Eve to eat the fruit, it would wreck Heavenly Father's plan. Even though Satan lived with God, he still didn't really know Him.


Meegan: It's like how sometimes you guys think that you are smarter than your dad and I are.

Elijah: (condescendingly) But I
AM smarter than you are!

CUT!!!


(Meegan counts to ten slowly while deciding whether to laugh riotously or throttle the child. She decides to laugh.)

Elijah, bright spot of my day (really), I would like to point out that before my brain leaked out my ears while trying to prevent you from, oh, say...running out in front of moving cars, I was actually considered *kinda* smart. So was your dad. I even have proof:



See???? See???? Those are TWO first place ribbons*! Science fair** AND History fair***! I was an interdisciplinary GENIUS and there's the proof****! And interdisciplinary geniuses are hot commodities, especially if one of the disciplines is environmental history, at least to hear the buzz in the post-grad history department at USU.

But still...there's nothing like a kid to really let you know how things are, huh?

*To be honest, I should probably give these to my dad. He really IS a genius, and he did a lot of the work on these...well, as much as possible without going from "helping your kid with her homework" to "doing your kid's homework."

**This one might legitimately be mine. The topic was "The Effects of Acid Rain on Plants," which Dad rightly considered too trendy and paranoid. So if I recall correctly, the extent of his involvement with this one was giving a 7th grader a strong acid. Hey, I was responsible. And no one got hurt. Pay no attention to the mysterious burn mark in the backyard grass...

***This one's definitely his. I did the research, but there was no way I could have mixed the resin for the model by myself.

****If I could find my stuff from Academic Decathlon, not only would I have irrefutable proof of my geniushood, but I could finally end the ongoing argument Jon and I have over who won. Duh...ME!

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say, I LOVE that you still have those ribbons in your possession.

    I don't have any ribbons. They don't make ribbons for being the shyest kid in middle school or the kid who would eat the most bowls of cereal in one sitting.

    P.S. It must be comforting to know that you're smarter than your children. My kids outwit me frequently.

    ReplyDelete