Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pumpkin blow

Is it just me, or does that title sound like some crazy street name for a drug?

Moving on.  The alternate title for this post is "Halloween, part 4," because like the horror movies of the same name, Halloween this year NEVER SEEMS TO END, although the events chronicled in this post are much less terror-inspiring, unless you are filled with horror by cow dung on your shoes. 

(This post will be mostly pictures because that will save me many thousands of words.)

Jon and I decided to try something different with the Halloween candy this year.  Usually, we are Candy Nazis...which is great until you realize that their Halloween candy runs out about the time it's replaced by Christmas stocking, which runs out about the time that it's replaced by Easter basket...candy year round!  Ugh.  So this year, we're trying the "OD for a few days" candy theory.  For Ethan, that looks like this:


A sucker or two during homework.  Very controlled, no noticeable sugar crash a few hours later.  His candy will STILL be around on Christmas. Elijah, on the other hand, looks like this:


Can you SEE the crazy sugar rush going on there?  Yeah.  His candy has been pretty well picked over already.

Gabriel, obviously, doesn't have this problem (yet)...his eating habits learn towards other issues:


Related story:  in addition to the word "doggie," Gabriel learned that when he says "doggie" while in his high chair, Dharma will come over and conveniently finish off any unwanted food.  Again I say, everything's cute the first time.  Including this...


..unless you're Ethan, who was trying to take a private shower on the other side of the door.  He wasn't too thrilled that Gabriel learned how to open a closed door.  I won't be tomorrow, either, I imagine...

But enough about food.  Today, the mirror-Alfreds invited us to the pumpkin blow.  (heh heh heh). 

This is me following them while they followed another family from our ward who didn't know the fastest way to get there:


See those names on the sign?  Yeah, those are towns in IDAHO.  We went to IDAHO for PUMPKIN BLOW.  (OK, I don't know why I think that's so funny.  Also, I don't know why I can't get this text to be right justified, but I give up on that one.)


This is a train we passed while wandering around looking for the pumpkin blow. 



This is Gabriel wishing I would quit being distracted by passing dust motes and/or trains and pay attention to the road.

When we finally found the pumpkin blow (snicker), this is what we saw.



Dozens, possibly hundreds, of people surrounding a field, at the center of which was a huge pile of past-their-prime jack-o'-lanterns and a very manly rancher-type guy who actually said the following, loosely quoted:

"Welcome to the pumpkin blow.  We don't advertise, cuz we don't want no government interference."

Then the manly rancher-type shot a rifle at the pumpkin pile, and...



Well, the pile...it BLEW.  Sorry I didn't get the moment of explosion; the dynomite exploding was rather loud and I was trying to cover Gabey's ears.  But I did get this shot:


Elijah and mirror-Elijah standing in the hole created by the exploding TNT.  Not too shabby, eh?  Neither is this:

Elijah realizing that  he's standing in more than just blown up pumpkin.  Mwah ha ha ha ha.  For those of you wondering where Ethan was, the answer is "sick at home with Jon."  The poor kid religiously takes vitamin C drops, and he's the only one who ever gets sick. Now that's irony.

All in all, the pumpkin blow was highly entertaining, although it did leave me craving a Twinkie (snicker...oooo...Snickers...that sounds good, too...). Anyhoo, if you're ever in rural Idaho and manage to escape the compound, I recommend it.

Before I go, a gratuitous baby picture:

How.  Cute.  Are.  They.  Also cute:  Gabriel coloring on the walls, but only because it was the first time.  Tomorrow, not so much.  Thank heavens for the magic eraser...

And one more:




Now we call him Lurch.

And if you're looking for another blog to stalk, try this one--it's mirror-Jon's.  It's interactive...and how often do you get to tell a blogger what to write? 

Peace out.  And...HAPPY THANKSGIVING.  Finally!

3 comments:

  1. Us mirror Alfred's had an awesome time Halloween night and at the pumpkin blow!! Good times!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin Blow sounds like a good time. Idaho sounds cooler than I thought.

    I cannot believe Gabe is walking and OPENING DOORS. You are ewed-SCRAY. Sorry. Have fun with that.

    I believe in the three day candy O.D. thing. I have a few other friends who do it, too. I still only give my kids one piece per day, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Five+ years I lived in Logan and never knew about the pumpkin blow!! Man we are gonna have to contribute to that pumpkin pile next year! : )

    ReplyDelete