Sunday, November 14, 2010

What Jon is up to...


Being awesome.  And interviewed by various newspaper-type people for special interest pieces.

We (by "we," I mean "he," but since I edit his papers, I'm sticking with "we") are also starting to submit applications for various PhD programs...the first was sent this very weekend to Texas A&M, otherwise know as "the Aggies with a good football team."  Texas A&M is located in the thriving metropolis of College Station, TX, which is found in--and I know this thanks to Google Maps--Texas.  Kind of by Houston.  Also Waco. 

We (heh heh) are also applying at Ohio State (in Columbus), Kansas State (in Manhattan...no, not that one, the LITTLE one.  In Kansas.), and a school in Tennessee that is a late addition and, as a result, I don't know it's name.  I think it might be in Nashville.  But, no matter how you look at it, our days in Utah are numbered, because I am going to be optimistic about Jon being accepted AND funded...he tends to be both more self-deprecating AND pessimistic.

After careful research, I've compiled this list of facts to help in our decision making process:

Texas A&M

PROS:  it's warm; it has THREE state mammals:  large, small, and flying.  For your information, they are: Texas longhorn, armadillo, free-tailed bat.  I bet every kid on a soccer team gets a trophy, too (although that's a con, if you ask me).

CONS:  It's no longer the largest state.  Stupid Alaska. Although I think its probably big enough to keep Ethan and Elijah far enough away from each other to prevent fighting.  Probably.

Kansas State

PROS: It's the home of the first chain restaurant, the Harvey House, which inspired the movie "Harvey Girls" starring Liza Minnelli, who uttered the famous line, "I'm waiting for a man to swoop down like a chicken hawk and carry me away."

CONS:  A house might drop on me; it's illegal to shoot rabbits from a motorboat (and everyone knows that rabbits are the terrors of the high seas). 


Ohio State


PROS:  I'd be close to Lisa (this counts as about 500 "pros")

KHAAAAAAAAAAN! (snicker):   It's in Columbus, which is the Ogden of Ohio, as nearly as I can tell.


The school in Tennessee, which Jon (after looking over my shoulder) informed me is the University of Tennesse (Knoxville)

PROS:  It's relatively close to Lisa (especially compared to Utah), having to hear "y'all" every other sentence (I thought Jon should have some input)

CONS:  humidity, having to hear "y'all" every other sentence (Jon is wrong)

 In the end, we'll go wherever the Lord leads us (by way of funding) and everything will work out for our good.  After all, I really DIDN'T want to move to Logan, and now we LOVE it here, and find ourselves hoping that Jon magically gets hired on here so we can stay...so, SEE how the Lord knows what's best for us?


Regardless, keep your fingers crossed for us...and I'm sure everyone will hear where we end up as soon as we know...in March.  ARGH, I hate waiting.

And so you know, Jon did a GREAT job at the museum.

3 comments:

  1. We are hoping you stay...but that's not a biased decision at all! My little brother is on his mission right now in that part of Texas (he just got transferred to Waco) so you could maybe meet him! I hope y'all get the funding needed and love where you end up!!

    Oh, and we totally would've gone to the museum the other day...had we but known! Grats on all of that Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The USU barn sounds spooky. And--make your own mini barn? Has Jon gone all Martha Stewart on us? I hope you have pictures. :)

    I vote TN. Unless DJ doesn't get the job there. Then I don't care where you go, because the world revolves around me. (Seriously, my backup vote is for Ohio.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will all work out for you guys I know it will. I just wish Bill was more willing to move with me as you are for Jon. But I also know that it will all work out for me in the end to. I just don't like knowing the hows or the whens!!!

    ReplyDelete