Friday, April 22, 2011

Various and sundry

I find myself being forced to be good (as far as my diet goes, at least).  As you can imagine, it's not going well.  There is major kicking and screaming going on...come one, what kind of diet limits FRUIT?????  Mostly I sneak a lot and then go on walks.  Gabriel loves this set up--it gets us out of the house, even when the weather is questionable...last night we got caught in a hail storm.  Seriously.



At any rate, Gabers loves it, especially now that he's been armed by his older brothers.  Above, you'll see him wielding Elijah's...short sword?...which is exactly the right size for a toddler.  There is something built into the Y chromosome that makes boys EVERYWHERE chop and slash at things offensively;  Gabriel spent most of the walk attacking innocent hedges and emerging tulips.  Please note, St. George family, that he's still wearing his cold weather gear.  That's because Logan still looks like this:


I should be grateful the snow is confined to the surrounding mountains at this point, but I  can't WAIT for it to be warm enough to go hiking/swimming/etc.

In other news, the boys are being FORCED to run by the school.  To hear Ethan tell it, it's to torture them.  Elijah, our chatty monkey, was told by a teacher that if he "ran as fast or as much as he talked, he'd be a professional runner."  Elijah was crushed.  I tried not to laugh, because it's true.  On the way to Lisa and Jim's wedding last June, he talked NON STOP from Logan to Provo (that's three hours, for you non-Utahns), and I think he only shushed because he was shy around John (my brother, whom I picked up in Provo.  Yeah, John.  Ask me how many "John's" there are in my immediate family).

Anyways, back to the fun run:

That's Elijah on the far left
Ethan
Note on Ethan's current hormonal development:  Ethan has officially reached the stage wherein Jon and I have gained, as Dave Barry put it, the ultimate parental power:  the power to embarrass.  We were informed that we were allowed to come to the fun run (which is a spectator event), BUT we were NOT allowed to wave to him or in any way acknowledge that we were somehow there for Ethan.  CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!  I wish I didn't have pregnancy brain going on...I got the brilliant idea to make signs that said, "We're here to embarrass Ethan"  on the way there.  I'm telling you, we could have sold them to the other parents.  It's going to be a FUN decade.

Also, you may have heard of--or even utilized--the chair carry, the dead man carry, or another method of transporting injured/unconscious individuals.  May I please introduce you to:  THE WEDGIE CARRY.  It's a good thing Gabers is still in diapers...this couldn't have felt good.


And rounding out the family, here's what the fetus is doing these days:


Recreating Riverdance.  If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was carrying multiples.  I didn't realize how easy Gabriel was on me--he moved, but in controlled, non-spazzy movements.  I think the fetus is trying to bust her way out, usually at three AM.  Try sleeping through THAT.  I'm not looking forward to July....

2 comments:

  1. If I recall correctly, the fetal movements feel crazier and crazier with every pregnancy because your UTERUS (UTERUS, UTERUS, UTERUS!!) gets more and more stretchy. Sorry about the UTERUS thing, it's just a funny word to write on my sister's blog.

    I like the wedgie carry. It's a survival technique around here. That's how I got Chancho into the cart at Costco today (another tactic--everyone piled into the cart).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on needing sun. I'm from Arizona! We don't not have the sun for this long, I'm going through withdrawals.
    I agree with Elise on the fetal movements...it seemed to get worse the more I had. I think your picture portrays it perfectly!!
    The fun run was awesome! Elijah told us, as we were running, that he could run faster than us, but wanted to stay with us so we could talk.

    ReplyDelete