Monday, April 25, 2011

I survived Easter 2011

I say that because, in the spirit of true Christian worship, Jon, the boys, and I kicked off our Easter festivities at the Mall. 

We tried to do it the old fashioned way, at a city park, but apparently Logan doesn't go by Mormon Standard Time, which is to start EVERYTHING at least five minutes, or better yet, fifteen minutes, after the scheduled starting time.  So, an Easter egg hunt scheduled to start at 11:00 AM Saturday morning was, in fact, finished by the time we showed up to the park in question at 10:50 AM (and all the Mormons in attendance were shocked to miss the main event, having arrived a half-hour early).

Fortunately, the Mirror-Alfreds did their homework and knew of the ongoing egg hunt at the Mall.  (cue ominous music)


That should have been our first clue that we weren't about to experience a traditional Easter egg hunt (if the thrumming beat of the shopping music didn't clue us in first).

This was the second clue:


Yes, friends, we went to an Easter Mosh Pit.  Jon went boldly with Gabriel into the fray and said, quote, "I tried to help him get an egg, but every time I put my hand out to help him, someone stepped on it."

Good times, good times...unless you're Ethan.  The universe joined in the conspiracy to make his life miserable (it's not just his parents and teachers anymore):  he was too old to join in the fun.  But he was a good sport...and helped Gabriel eat his loot so I wouldn't have to.  Thanks for taking the bullet for me.  What a good kid.

So, after a productive morning of celebrating the most important event in Christianity by engaging in fisticuffs with toddlers and their parents during a tradition that has roots in pagan fertility symbolism, we took pictures in front of the Easter demon bunny:


I'm actually glad that it was a stuffed bunny.  Have you ever seen a bunny costume that didn't look like it had demon eyes?  Also, see Ethan's new glasses, the ones we bought the 11th?  In three more hours, they bit the dust during a "friendly" wrestling match with Elijah.  FACEPALM! 

We tried to make actual Easter morning a little less, uh, frantic.


But, as we currently have all boys, we were only moderately successful.  They had fun, though...


That was the only time that day they showed any interest in a product that didn't contain high fructose corn syrup covered in sugary sugar atoms.  Even Gabriel got in on the fun:

That's MY candy!

I don't know why Gaber's imperious pointing makes me laugh...it just does. 

And, last but not least, a few random Gabey pictures:


Happy Easter, my peeps!

3 comments:

  1. Great post. The mosh pit was amazing wasn't it. You have such awesome kids and they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, Easter memories! It was a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I would eat anything I found on the floor at the mall. ;)

    I love Easter, even with the Pagan symbolism. I actually met a lot of Pagans on my mission and they were usually the most friendly people to tract into. I think it's the chocolate eggs that bring us together.

    I wonder if Gabey will ever outgrow the imperious finger point. Like, is that going to be his wife's pet peeve? For now it's super cute.

    ReplyDelete