Friday, April 16, 2010

DOOM ON YOU!!!!!

Yesterday we had macaroni and cheese for dinner.  To make myself feel slightly better about that particular meal choice, I always add some form of frozen vegetable.  Usually peas, sometimes the California Medley (which is my preference).  The boys stopped whining about it years ago, but I tell you this so you know that dinner yesterday was nothing to rave about.

So there we were, blissfully eating our Mac n' cheese Supreme.  Scouts (ugggh) are at 6:30, the boys bolt their dinner and head downstairs to cram in as much video game time as possible before heading out to interact with actual people instead of pixels.

As the boys are pounding down the stairs and I'm helping Gabe finish up the sweet potatoes, Jon and I exchanged the following via text:

Jon:  Did you feel that?

Meegan:  You mean the truck?

Jon: It was an earthquake.

Meegan:  Huh.  I thought it was a truck.


So basically, my macaroni n' cheese was more riveting than a rare (for our locale) seismic event.  It made me feel bad about all the times Jon and I have THIS conversation:

Jon:  How can I help you?

Meegan: (interior monologue) Seriously?  Have you seen the house?  I have to point out what needs to be done???

Jon:  (waits patiently while I "think.")

Meegan:  The dishes need to be done. (on the inside:  The scum on the dishes is practically sentient.  HOW COULD YOU NOT NOTICE THAT?!!?!?!?!)

Jon:  OK.  I love you. (does the dishes)

Meegan:  continues to stew and in general be ungrateful for her wonderful husband who helps around the house, often without being asked, even during end-of-the-semester crunch time.

You know what's sad?  That dialogue is, in reality, punctuated by a lot more drama, weeping, wailing, tears, and more drama--all on my part--than indicated.  Poor Jon.  His only fault is not noticing that the dirty laundry piles ate the dogs.  I don't notice THE GROUND MOVING AND PICTURES RATTLING ON THE WALLS.  I think I finally get guys.  All it took was an earthquake.  Sometimes they just don't notice.  It's nothing personal.

And now, I'm going to cut this short because Jon has Gabriel so I can do this, which messes up his list of things to do today.  I really do have a wonderful husband.

1 comment:

  1. HEE HEE. You are a lot more kind to Jon than I am to DJ. When he asks what needs to be done around the house my monologue is not so internal. In fact, it's incredibly external. Poor DJ. Between the dirty house and being late for church it's amazing he's still with me.

    ReplyDelete