Monday, June 14, 2010

The 2010 guide to stuff you need at Lake Powell

When I was young, carefree, and much more fun than I am now, I used to go camping a lot.  In fact, I was once paid to camp for an ENTIRE SUMMER.  I can count the number of times I showered that summer on my fingers, and I didn't get paid a lot, but it will forever be my FAVORITE JOB EVER.  So, I know what you need to go camping.  Stuff like a sweatshirt, rain gear, a flashlight, and maybe a pillow.  I am not a camping neophyte.  However, for the 2010 camping season, I scrapped all of that garbage and, instead, brought stuff that is way more helpful when you decide to take an infant camping.  Here is my new and improved list of camping essentials:


1.  A reason to go camping.  Weddings and camping go together, right?  They do now.  Thanks to Lisa and Jim, I finally went to Lake Powell for the first time in YEARS.



2.  A brother-in-law who is capable of killing the rattlesnakes in camp.  I'm pretty sure that Jim can also do that cool move from KungFu Panda where you kill someone with their own pinky finger, so Jim is now my permanent favorite brother-in-law, at least as far as he knows.  Please note his young daughter petting the rattlesnake corpse.  Heh heh heh.



3.  A sister who is willing to set up your tent for you when your baby is unwilling to let go of you.  It's especially helpful if that sister ALSO has helper monkeys and a thoughtful husband. (Check out Callie.  I'm pretty sure she's trying to go to McDonald's.)


4.  A brother-in-law who can talk you out of your stubborn pride and into a motel room when the weather is miserable and your baby is freaking out.  Also, a sister who will give you a sucker to help entertain your freaking out baby in the car.



5.  A sister and brother-in-law with an extra bed in their motel room who don't mind you bringing a freaking out baby into said room, even though their own kids (including a baby) are already settled down.


6.  A brother who will drive while you attend to a freaking out baby and go easy on your nerves by driving insanely slowly (as requested) and not take it personally when you back seat drive and/or overreact to cars on the horizon braking.  I think I'm responsible for the look on his face...




7.  Parents with a motorhome and, specifically, a microwave, so you don't have to bother with a pesky campfire when it's time to cook the hotdogs.



8.  A baby sister and brother-in-law who not only thought that a flashlight might be helpful when camping, but who EACH thought to bring one...and were willing to let me have one the night I actually attempted to camp (instead of mooch off of my sister in a motel room)




9.  A really big car to sleep in when it became apparent that I couldn't take care of my freaking out baby in a tent with a low ceiling.  Comfy.

10.  A cello to make sure it rained during the wedding ceremony (because string instruments and rain are a BAD combination, even more problematic than camping and trying to look presentable for a wedding.)

11.  An underwater camera.



That's pretty much it.  It's the definitive list of essential camping gear.  I wouldn't have survived with out it. 

 However, I haven't mentioned the ONE THING that you HAVE TO HAVE when camping with an infant.

YOUR HUSBAND.

I left him at home.  Big mistake. 

2 comments:

  1. I remembered to bring my husband at the last minute. Best decision of my life.

    Do you really have an underwater camera? I WANT ONE!

    I want to steal all of the pictures from this post. Hmm. I think I just did. :)

    ...and, the most vivid memories I have of working at Beaver High are of having to go #1 REALLY BAD, but being terrified of using the biffy. And of riding in Mollee's VW bug through the mountains. And of freezing my butt off.

    The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a spiffy time camping!! I don't know what the previous comment says but they had a lot to say to you!!

    ReplyDelete