Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Yer KILLIN' me, Smalls!

This is Gabriel.





I know, he's devastatingly cute. It's his lone survival skill. I'm glad he's not, say, a horse, and able to walk within an hour of birth. There are advantages to being able to find him exactly where I left him. I'm not looking forward to this stage ending.


Gabe thinks he's a teenager. He's up until AT LEAST 2 AM every night, he sleeps until noon if I let him, he eats a ton, and he doesn't lift a finger to help out around the house.


The only part of that I have a problem with is "up until AT LEAST 2 AM every night." You see, NOT being a teenager anymore, I:


1. can't stay up--gracefully, at least--past 11 PM


2. can't sleep in past 8 AM. Stinking grown-up responsibilities.


3. definitely need more than three hours of sleep per day. Did I mention that he routinely wakes up for a mid-sleep snack, generally around 6 AM, thus effectively waking me up for the day?


Summary: I am sleep deprived, even WITH my awesome partner parent who most certainly does his share.


Let's look a little more closely at Gabe's picture...aaaahhh...just as I suspected...there I am, wrapped securely around his little finger.


TANGENT: do you suppose the phrase is "wrapped around his little finger" because his fingers are little and can refer to my being wrapped around any of them, or is it specifically referring to his little/pinky finger? Just a random thought. I have those.


Back on track. There I am, in my sleep-deprived glory, wrapped securely around his little finger. Which is how THIS happened:



He's in his crib...sleeping. Don't judge me, people!

I know I gave up any shot I had at the "mother of the year" award when I decided to let him sleep in his car seat for the night. Let's get real, I gave up any shot I had of winning that Major Award long ago. At least he was sleeping...and at 3:30 AM, that's all I wanted. You'll notice that the straps are kinda fastened to create the illusion that we were going somewhere in the car. Not that we actually left the house...or his bedroom...

Note: he's in the crib so my loveable yet dumb dog didn't ***accidentally***eat his toes. But that's another blog dealing with Dharma and $75 dollars worth of plastic--and apparently tasty--breast feeding/pumping supplies that no longer exist. At least, in a "useable without questioning my judgement" way. She, too, is lucky she's cute.

And now, because he is asleep, I'm going to join him...

1 comment:

  1. I wrote a really long, riotously funny comment about my having American Gladiator arms and then I lost my internet connection. Flippin' neighbors.
    Re: letting Gabe sleep in his car seat. I say-- whatever works, man. I refused to dress Olivia today. She's FOUR. She can dress herself. In a fit of rebellion she put all of her clothes on backwards and I'm leaving them that way. Whatever works. Anyhoo, sleep is important. Recall the night at your house when I let Tess sleep strapped into her carseat? Sleep deprivation makes you do CRAZY things. :)

    ReplyDelete