Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Musical Neural Misfires

I recently decided it was time to drag my tail end off the bed/couch where it has resided since Gabriel was born and do something more with my life than wonder who Jack will torture in the next episode of 24. As a result, I've been listening to my iPod more. (zing!!! My brain is a tangent waiting to happen...)




Shuffle is a wonderful feature. Without it, I might never have had these thoughts:



(Yes, I know that the song titles should be underlined or italicized or something. I'm too lazy to a. find out which one it is and b. take the time to do it)



1. Blister in the Sun by the Violent Femmes. Wowza. It's a very catchy tune, currently playing on a Wendy's commercial or two...which makes me wonder about the Wendy's ad people. Either they are clueless about what that song is about, or the Wendy's execs they pitched it to are and the ad guys are laughing their heads off because the execs bought the pitch.

2. I don't know the name of the song, but I know it's by the Killers. It has the lyric: "Are we human/or are we dancer?" Guys, that's not the question I'm pondering. It's, "Is English your second language?" COME ON! Would it kill you to use the plural "s?"


3. What, precisely, is a "super trouper light?" Is it like a fresnel or a flourescent? And what happens when it finds you? A bad sunburn? Is it a tanning bed light? For the record, Super Trouper by Abba is one of the songs I HATE, but can't help listening to. It's only slightly less annoying than that song by the Killers, and that's because it, at least, is grammatically correct. And English isn't even Abba's native language. Way to go, Killers! Maybe the Killers really ARE from Nephi. Su-PAH-PAH!  Tru-PAH-PAH!



4. Blues Traveler rocks the harmonica solo. And they can talk/sing fast. You KNOW when that one part of Hook comes on, you can't help trying to see how much of it you can keep up with. (Answer: you start making up lyrics right after "Rin Tin Tin or Anne Bolyn.")

5. Stupid Girls by Pink. My intro to this song was Jon, while we were dating, saying "That song reminds me of you." I deserve a major award for waiting to hear his reasoning and not dumping him then and there. (cough--or over the proper way to load the dishwasher--cough) Awesomist lyric ever... "you see them in groups of 2 or 3 with their teeny weeny doggies and their itty bitty jeans." 'Nuf said. I actually DO like that song.

6. John Mayer is proof that no matter how goofy looking you are, if you can play the guitar and sing, you can get any girl. Also, that guy Julia Roberts was married to for a while. GOOFY LOOKING GUY, awesome voice. Sidenote: I'm really hoping that John Jr escapes BYU single, because I REALLY want to get him a shirt that says, "I went to BYU to get engaged and all I got was this stupid shirt." Not that I think that's why he went to BYU...or that I'm hoping he doesn't find his eternal companion...

(Have you ever noticed that some people's writing just doesn't have a good conclusion?  I bet they have kids.)

1 comment:

  1. You have a lot of songs on your iPod that you don't like, huh? Me, too.

    I like to sing Cooper Trooper to the neighbor kid when he comes over to play. Tawny (Cooper's mom) doesn't know about it. If you know any Coopers, try it out. :)

    And finally, maybe there's a reason why they don't pluralize "dancer". Maybe it's to show their band unity. But then, why the "we"? Maybe too much Lit class for me...

    ReplyDelete